If you’re heading off on holiday with the intention of maintaining the fitness you’ve worked hard to build on over the year here are a couple of workouts you can try.
Pack of Cards Workout
If you’re not someone who brings a deck of cards with them on holiday here’s an excuse to get yourself a tacky holiday souvenir! The beauty of this little workout is that the deck acts like your own fitness instructor meaning you don’t have to do too much thinking. With your deck of cards assign each suit an exercise e.g.
Hearts = Press Ups
Diamonds = Chins or Inverted Rows
Spades = Squats
Clubs = Reverse Lunges
All you then need to do is, after a brief warm-up, shuffle the deck and pick a card and then perform the exercise associated with the suit and perform repetitions equal to the number shown on the card. You can even assign a couple of forfeit exercises to the Jokers (burpees or bear crawls perhaps!) or if you pick a royal card or an Ace you perform a harder version of the exercise e.g. 10 close arm press ups rather than standard press ups.
Either set yourself a time limit or for the truly committed attempt to work your way through the entire pack!
This version of Monopoly thankfully doesn’t involve a family member sulking for the rest of your holiday because you’ve just bankrupted them! It does however require a bit of pre-planning but if you’re going to be sat on a plane for several hours…
Set yourself up a Monopoly style board – here’s an example of one I made up as a “treat” for some of my clients.
All you then need to do is bring a dice with you, start at the “start” square then roll a dice to determine your exercise. Perform the exercise then roll again. I put a twist in my game above that when you rolled the same number twice in sequence you performed a forfeit.
The exercises you choose will obviously be limited by the equipment you have available here are a few options if you’re limited in terms of kit but need some variety:
– Chin ups or Inverted rows using a playground climbing frame
– Pyramid sprints: lay down markers at 5 metre intervals up to 20 metres and run to each one then back to the start in order. If you’re still not knackered work your way back down from the 20m marker back to the start again in reverse order!
– Crawling exercise such as bear crawls (a quick search on youtube will give you plenty of ideas!)
– Plank Push Ups: start in a plank position then push yourself one arm at a time up to a push up position then return to the plank position one arm at a time.
– Leg circuit: 20 squats, 10 Squat Jumps, 10 Split Squats (each leg) and then 10 Split Squat jumps with no rest between the exercises.
– Sand dune sprints: if you’re lucky enough to be on a beach with dunes try some sprints up them and enjoy sliding back down!
As before you can either set a time limit of say 20 minutes or perform a pre-determined number of rounds of the board.